Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Ready for a break

We were child-free this past weekend so we hoped to get some work done around the house. Little did we know that this was going to be a chaotic and stressful weekend. In some ways, little got accomplished.

To be fair, we did a ton of work outside. We went through a lot of stuff we hadn't unpacked yet (yes, even after living here three years!) and threw a lot away. Anything that was salvageable was saved and will be either reused by us or sent to Goodwill.

On the other hand... Remember my little plan to have a heart-to-heart with the hubby? It was one of the least productive conversations I've had with anyone in ages. Instead of just being honest and open about how we felt about the situation, he jumped on the impulsive side ("Damn the consequences, let's do it!") because that's what he thought I wanted to hear. Having him jump on the impulsive side made me jump to the cautious side, because that's how I respond when I feel like people aren't considering the potential trouble an action could cause. He kept pushing until I got upset, and when I wanted to be left alone (I don't like to cry in public and we were talking over dinner while we were out) he kept on at me. I still don't feel like the issue has been completely worked out, but I do know this much: I've got a lot of weight to lose before anything else happens, because I learned the first time around how hard a pregnancy can be when you weigh too much.

So hooray! I survived until Saturday. We're getting ourselves up and around and deciding what kind of shopping we needed to do, and *BANG BANG BANG* our neighbor knocks at our door. There was a small flood outside the back of my home. After searching for a bit we figured out what was going on: the cut-off for the water main outside our house was leaking. Keep in mind we live in an old park and if you cut off water at the main line to one home, you pretty much cut off the water to everyone else down the line too. So we called the manager, who was too busy playing at a local spring festival to come take care of the issue. So we waited. And waited. And waited. The water just kept getting deeper and spreading. Saturday night came and went with no response from the manager. Sunday came and went with no word. So finally, Sunday night I went to my neighbor's house (because by this point water had interfered with our internet and cable and phone lines and we had no way of communicating) to call the electric company (they're over the water supply in our town). He called the landlord and demanded something be done. So in the middle of the night they came out FINALLY to turn off the water. The excuse they gave us? "Our boss gave us permission to have the day off." Holy cow! If my husband got a call from work saying that there was an emergency and they needed him, wouldn't you think he'd be expected to show up or be in trouble? So anyway, Monday morning things finally got "fixed". I say "fixed" because they didn't do the job the right way, and it's only a matter of time before it happens again.

So now it's been a few days since the flood waters receded and our internet/phone/cable still wasn't working. I had to have my mom call the cable company to fix everything. Sure enough, water had destroyed the little splitter under our house that directed the cable lines to different rooms. It's fixed now, I think, and hopefully it'll hold.

The one good thing that happened this week: We finally found Nick Jr. On Demand. Which means now, when Sweet'ums is hollering for WonderPets and the one episode for the day has already passed during naptime, I have a way to satisfy her urge to help baby animals and save the day. Hooray!

1 comment:

Melinda said...

You've had quite a week, Victoria. Sorry about the less than productive conversation with the hubby ... sounds like some conversations I've had with mine. I know you'll work it out in time.

Sounds like your home just about turned into an ark! Living in Florida, we have had more than one weather-related catastrophe (including Hurricane Charley) and dealing with those kinds of issues just drives you crazy!

Here's hoping for an uneventful rest of the week for you! ;0)