First of all, I want to apologize for the novel I'm about to write.
If you have children, a spouse, or a life you'd like to get back to
sometime before the end of the year, I'd advise skipping this post
entirely.
And now, onwards...
In some ways I'm feeling better than I was the other
night. I think a lot of it is just that I bottle up my emotions when
Sweet'ums is home and when she's gone everything I feel comes bubbling
out. So right now things are okay... Come Saturday night, when she's
with my mom, things might be different.
I talked to
Nice Guy about everything. Fortunately he cares and he seemed genuinely
surprised that I was that bad off. I mean, he knew I was really
struggling, but didn't seem to notice the whole quiet-desperation-thing
going on. He wants to help me feel better, fix things, whatever. I
appreciate that. He even says that he understands my feelings and the
problem isn't all in my head.
What's frustrating me right
now is that we are exactly back to where we were the last time I bared
my heart to him about how things weren't where they should be.
Basically, I do the foot work of trying to figure out how to fix things,
he shoots down the ideas of whomever I've just read as being silly or
nit-picky or something, then he makes some kind of pittance offer about
something to do that he deems to be romantic (or something, who knows
what's going through his head).
Example: I found this article
while browsing AOL news today. I told him about it and said I thought
she made some good points and maybe it was worth a shot. So, after doing
our running around this evening we got back home and I read the points
to him. He was all for numbers 1, 4, and 6. Now #4 is no biggie for us.
I've mentioned before that one of our projects last year to help us with
our relationship was to start a book of things we love about each
other. We hit the one year mark back in August and we're averaging an
entry a day (which translates to us alternating days), but I don't
remember exactly how many we managed. To me, #4 was just a version of
what we were already doing. #6 was pretty standard advice that you'd get
from any number of relationship counselors, sex therapists, or elderly,
still-head-over-heals couples. Again, no biggie, as long as you have a
lock on your bedroom door to prevent mishaps involving an autistic four
year old and one of you doesn't work ridiculous hours thanks to shift
work. Oh, and if you're not both like 60lbs overweight. That too. #1
makes some good points and it's all about taking responsibility for
yourself and how you react and how you feel and helping your partner
know what to do.
Numbers 2, 3, and 5 he had a problem
with. #2 is all about intimacy, communication, and ongoing relationship
improvement. #3 is about admitting what gets you going and acknowledging
that you and your partner aren't carbon copies of each other. #5 is
about accountability, in my mind--no lying about who you're with or what
you're doing, and if you're honest about what you're up to there's no
need for the other party to get defensive or suspicious. These three he
has a problem with. #3 I can kind of see his point--I'm not quite sure
why she put that in there if she wasn't going to elaborate on what to do
with the information. Are we supposed to indulge each other's desires
even if we're not into it? Is it just about knowing each other's
interests and not judging? Huh? His problem with #5 didn't make much
sense to me--it's something we do anyway, something we've always done,
but he interpreted her putting it in writing as being "up her husband's
butt" and unnecessary. So if it's something we're already doing, and
he's fine with it in that context, why have an issue with someone else
saying it's important to be able to do in a relationship? The one that
really annoyed me that he tried shooting down, though, was #2. He said
that it was nonsense, basically, that it was too many questions and the
vow revisiting thing was too much and nit-picky and pointless.
You
know what I noticed, though? Numbers 1, 4, and 6 were driven by
personal responsibility, knowing yourself, and pushing yourself. Numbers
2, 3, and 5 were about being honest and intimate with each other. Group
A, the group he liked, was the group of things I can do for myself.
Group B was the group of things that would require him to actually put
some effort into things too, particularly #2, the one he disliked the
most.
His consolation prize for not being all into
this? "Hey, is there a movie or something you want to watch?" After I
said no, not really, and we sat here for a while not really talking
about much, he decided he was going to bed. He came back out a few
minutes later and asked if I wanted to talk, but by that point I was
pretty perturbed and, to be honest, a little hurt, and told him no, just
to go on to bed.
Which leaves me exactly where I was
last time we had that kind of talk. I pour my heart out, he pours out
his, he seems honestly shocked that I'm THAT upset about something, he
promises to try harder and pay more attention, and then when I start
making suggestions they get shot down. Eventually he forgets all about
trying harder and things slip a little further downhill so that next
time I have a meltdown, we're even further from the solution. And me, I
just get more and more despondent and give up, instead of trying to work
on things on my end like I should.
So at the end of
the night, I'm aggravated. I feel like things are never going to improve
and maybe I should just tell him not to bother, that we should just
give up and find a lawyer and go be miserable each in our own places.
He's bored--he admits it freely--so maybe I should just turn him loose
to go get his own apartment where he can play his video games all day
and goof off with his cousin on their off days. And I can be lonely and
unappreciated with or without him--I'm already getting good at it.
No,
we're not splitting up... At least, I don't think so. This is probably
just a rough patch that I'll have forgotten all about the moment
Sweet'ums stops stressing me out and I have a way to get out of the
house once in a while.
I'm going to go update the
Froggy Blog really quick on something that I realized about Sweet'ums. I
understand if you're not interested after such a long post... At any
rate, if you're still here, I hope you have a good night and I
appreciate you actually sticking with it. I'm going to try to find
something positive to say soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey..hang in there..guess there are times when husband & wife are not "in tune" with each other..happens quite a lot of time between me & my husband..think what is important is that we (husband & I) talk it out & try to come to a "compromise" to meet each other's needs..something like that..I'm no expert..still working on it..
I think a lot of couples go through things like this and still can make it work!
My husband is NEVER very fond of taking my advice, though I always feel it my solemn duty to let him know exactly how I feel! Though he is fond of reciprocating when I go out of my way to be nice to him.
But every guy is different. Sending prayers. You'll get through this!
And I love your Froggy posts. I'll head over their soon. :)
Post a Comment