Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Potty day

Warning: Potty TMI might follow...

Today was a good day, potty-wise. Sweet'ums went twice in the potty all by herself, without being told or reminded. What made me really proud was at one point she started to go on the floor, so she ran to her potty and sat down. It took her a while, but finally she finished in the potty! I think she must have locked down those muscles hard enough that it took a few minutes to relax enough to go. Then, once she went #2 in her panties, but came running to the potty and tried to take care of it. Poor kid. The second time she went #2 her daddy didn't realize it (I was in the shower at the time) and she asked him to take her to her potty seat (in our bathroom, the child seat built into our adult seat). Once he got her in there he realized what had happened, but at least she tried to tell him about the mess. Another time she wet herself and asked for a bath. Or, maybe she was saying she just gave herself one? I'm not really sure. The point of all this though is that she's actually realizing that her messes are supposed to go into a potty and she's alerting us to them now, even if she's a little late at it. If she catches the urge before it happens, she goes to the potty on her own without prompting from us or needing our help.

Needless to say I'm thrilled with her progress. We didn't do a full-day session, but she seems to understand what we're getting at. We'll work some more on it tomorrow, and hopefully she'll do even better.

Thanks for stopping by, Melinda. Most parents won't admit that one of their children was anything less than a joy to potty train, or that they were unwilling in the slightest. You wouldn't believe how many people, when asked, have told me that they just told their kids to do it and they did! I imagine a few did, and I know my mom didn't have too much trouble with me (I was a copy-cat), but I doubt so many people had such perfectly easy children. We're hanging in there and hopefully sometime in the next few weeks I will be able to report that we're mostly accident-free.

2 comments:

Blessed Beyond said...

Glad she is doing so well with it!!! K is not even near ready! :(

Libbie said...

Oh my...my kids REFUSE to go! I am only on the 2nd one but so far...it doesn't look promising! She seems like she is going to do great! Just that she will go is hopeful! Send a little of that willingness my way willya?:)