Friday, April 2, 2010

Time off

This weekend was supposed to be my time off. Real time off--Sweet'ums is with her adoring and devoted grands, hubby will be working, and I'm going to chill at home, read a good book, get a bubble bath, maybe do a little creative writing...

...right?

I wish. I already knew I had tons of housework to do since my old strategy for making the house look clean no longer works. We got a new window a/c during the week for the main part of the house to hopefully lower the electric bill over the summer, so we had to rearrange the furniture so that our couch wouldn't block the window. All of the stuff we had stashed out of sight is now sitting on my couch waiting to be sorted and discarded. No biggie though. I can handle that, if I have no distractions.

This is where the distraction comes in.

My SIL called me late this afternoon to tell me she needed a couple dresses she left here to be taken up and mended. That's fine, except she never held up her end of the bargain: I needed her to be here so I could size the dress that needed taking up, because otherwise it's horribly inaccurate. It was also a bit of a pain as I only have white thread (that's mainly what my sewing requires) and the hubby is on day shift, leaving us only a little time this evening to look for thread at Walmart, who conveniently only had a little sewing kit for hand-sewing (which my hands don't really permit me to do much of anymore). So alas, I'm without blue or black thread for her dress that needed mending. She had this bright idea that her mom could drop her by here on her way to pick up my other SIL's boyfriend for the day, and go home when her mom came by this way to take the boyfriend home. Usually, he gets to their house early in the day and doesn't go home until sometime after 7.

I hate to sound so awful, but I really don't want her here all day.

After all, I've asked her several times over the months those dresses have been here to stop by so I could get the measurements. Why did she wait until the last minute, right before she actually needed them, to come and do what I asked?

If she wasn't coming over tomorrow, here's what I would REALLY like to do.

I'd get up early, have some coffee, get my household stuff done early, or at least get a lot of it done so I could finish up on Sunday. I'd have a nice, quiet lunch, then I'd crank up the speakers on the computer, jam to The Cranberries and Nightwish, and do some painting. I haven't painted in ages, and I was really feeling like it. It hurts to write for very long periods of time (I prefer handwriting my creative projects) and I really want to do something creative. I've got too much happening inside my head and it would be nice to just let it all out. I'd sing my heart out with the blissful knowledge that no one is listening and feel 16 for a few hours. Then the hubby would come home and I'd slip back into grown-up mode and be thankful for my free day.

I could probably still get some work done with the SIL here but I have a harder time doing things with other people here. I need a day with no distractions and no responsibilities. I really needed this free time, but it's not going to happen.

Now I'll have to try to get everything done Sunday before Sweet'ums comes home, because now that Mom works on Mondays she brings Sweet'ums home earlier than she used to. Not that I mind, of course, but it adds to my time constraints.

I just hope that sometime soon I can get another free day, just to use the way I want to, without worries. There just always seems to be work to do.

No comments: