So I'm officially getting old (it's downhill to 30 from here) and thanks to 9/11 the last ten years have been neatly outlined for me. It has been a long ride but here we are.
Of the last ten years I've spent five and a half in some kind of school, five and three quarters married, almost four as a mother, and ten wondering what the world would look like tomorrow.
I woke up on that day ten years ago with this heavy feeling. It wasn't something I fabricated after the events unfolded--a couple friends felt "off" that morning too and we talked about how strange it was before school started.
My parents worked hard to keep us sheltered from the world but 9/11 opened my eyes. I think of it sometimes as the day I grew up because before that day, the bad things in the world seemed so far away. I think a lot of young adults would tell you that. It made me realize that there was a whole world out there and it was the first time I became aware that some religious sects harbored a great deal of hostility. In the ten years that followed I learned that there were far more friendly Muslims than there were hostile ones and having religious differences didn't really make us all that different. People are still people, regardless of their faith, and most of us want basically the same things out of life--love, happiness, and to provide for our families.
The last ten years have seen a lot of change in my life. My family uprooted from a church we'd been at since my toddler years and I left my "accelerated" high school program in favor of my newspaper class and AP and honors courses. Two uncles, who hadn't really been in my life much, died; another, who had been involved in my life a great deal, created a chasm in our family. I had two ear surgeries and then went off to college. Marriage and parenthood changed my life in the best way. We had the summer of the hurricanes and countless other storms. Of course we had 9/11 and that created enormous change for our world. What a lot of upheaval.
But you know, other than dealing with the 9/11 stuff, it hasn't been so bad. A lot of good has happened in my life. I've met some truly amazing people and made some great friends. I crossed paths with the man who would become my best friend and husband. I've had a long road with my kid dealing with things I wouldn't have chosen for her but in the long haul, I know it makes us stronger. Things like that happen for a reason.
So hopefully today will be a good day. Hopefully I can tune out all the sad stuff and focus on the things that make my life what it is. Hopefully when I wake up that heavy feeling will be replaced by something better.
But there is one thing... All I really want for my birthday is to see my BFF. The funny part? I don't think she would be overseas were it not for 9/11.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey there Victoria~
It has been a different 10 years hasn't iit...Life sure did change it's whole meaning that day. I was actually teaching first grade that day & I couldn't believe that we just went on as if nothing had happened. The school wanted the students to learn about it from their families which made sense but it was sooooo hard to teach that day so it is interesting to think of you as a student when that happened.
A lot sure does happen in ten years doesn't it! I am glad you are enjoying your roles as mother, blogger :), wife... Wife & Mother sure do feel good :) The weird thing is that another 10 years will pass before we know it & so much more will be written in our life books...I'm excited to discover what :) But I do know it won't all be good. Hope you guys are doing good! It has been hard to jump on here lately but I will try my best! Take Care!
Post a Comment