Tonight my family is going to revisit the day my husband and I had our first date. The movie theater where we went together is closing at the end of business tonight and we wanted to catch one last film with them. We even thought it would be fitting that our daughter's first movie would be at the same place we had ours, so she'll be going with us. I'm excited and a little sad too.
Sad, because it was a lovely theater at one time but has fallen into disrepair--that's part of the reason we've only been back a few times in our five years together. Even way back then management had stopped caring about the place, but it wasn't as bad as I hear it is now. I wouldn't even bother going, except for honoring that memory with my husband.
This isn't the first theater we've seen off like this. Another in town closed a few years ago and goodness knows how many movies we saw there while we were dating and first married. We made it a point on its last day to see the last showing of the last movie. Of course in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't mean anything, but it's sad to see places where you've spent so much time shut down. We've seen a ton of movies together over the last few years and these places mean something to us.
The only thing is that I'm uneasy about taking Sweet'ums. I really don't know what condition the theater is in--it can't be too bad or they would have been shut down a long time ago--and really, that's the main thing, not knowing how bad it is. Obviously I don't want to take her someplace where she might get hurt or sick. I doubt it's really an issue, since it's only for about an hour and a half with four adults to keep an eye on her. And hopefully she'll enjoy the movie.
That was a really great first date.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey...have fun ya...
That's so very sweet ... no matter how the place looks, you'll just remember how you felt the first time you were there. ;0)
I remember when they tore down the church where my husband and I were married. I hated that!!
Thank you so much for your prayers and sweet words as I prepared for She Speaks. It was such a blessing to go! I'll post about it later this week.
This is so sweet -- her first movie at the site of your first date! I love it.
Post a Comment