Friday, September 10, 2010

Is she serious???

My birthday has always been a pain. Between 9/11 and the fact that we're just not good at putting on a good party, it's always been a bit of a dud. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed some of them, just that some of them have been days I would rather have slept through.

My mom pulled a real doozy this year though. And I think it was an attempt at a joke but I can't say for sure. My mom sometimes tries to make jokes by saying things that... well, they're just not funny. On the other hand, she IS getting older and I have to brace myself for her and Dad to start forgetting things.

When she asked whether I'd decided to go to church with them Sunday (there's going to be a little program for Grandparents' Day) I told her I'm still not sure, since my medicine is still messing with my stomach and NG was trying to decide whether he was going to do something for my birthday tomorrow evening when he gets off work or wait until one of the next two weekends since he'll be off then. She goes, "Oh, that's right... Tomorrow's your birthday."

Then as they were leaving, she said, "Well, I'll go ahead and wish you a happy birthday, just in case I forget to tell you tomorrow."

Gee whiz, Mom. I love you too.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Awww... I understand. My mom would say things like that, too. I don't think they mean to be insensitive. I think it's just part of getting older, maybe?? Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful birthday and that your husband treats you like a queen! (I bet he won't forget!)

graywolfie said...

Hey...Happy Belated Birthday..! Hope u had fun...

I agree with Melinda...dun think she's being insensitive...maybe she was being honest...telling u that she might forget..