Monday, July 27, 2009

Taking Shape

One room at a time, my house is finally taking shape. We've been focusing on Sweet'ums' room because she's old enough now that she really enjoys being in her room, and until recently we used a large section of her room for storage. Now, only her closet is used for storage (because I converted an old cabinet into a small armoire/wardrobe thing) and I'm working on turning her room into the comfy, pretty space I'd envisioned.

We held off for a long time on doing anything because we really weren't sure we'd be staying in this house for too long. We didn't want to put a lot of money, time, and energy into fixing it up if this wasn't a permanent arrangement. Now it seems like this is actually going to be a long-term thing, and we're trying really hard to make it a place where Sweet'ums is happy and where she'd be proud to bring friends home.

So now, all that's left is to paint the walls (I found a nice soft rose color that would be easy to match with most girly bedspreads) and rearrange her furniture (which has to wait until I get rid of the old TV that's taking up space in her room). I'm thinking about staining her dresser (a kind of blonde colored wood) to match her bed (something rather dark, a cherry or mahogany color) and maybe painting her armoire to match the color the walls will be. I've also got an old bedside table that might make a nice small bookcase that matches the armoire, so I might paint it too (they're particle board, so they can't really be stained to match the rest of the furniture). And I've got an old recliner in her room that I want to get a slip cover for and incorporate into the rest of the decorations. Throw in a nice bedspread and matching curtains, and we're all set.

The batteries in my camera are dead right now so pictures will have to wait. As soon as I find replacements, I'll post pictures and see if anyone has any input for what I should do with it.

1 comment:

graywolfie said...

Hey...I can finally leave a comment..hahaa..!!

Wow..revamping a room sounds interesting..have fun ya..!