This week is a little easier as far as changing our eating habits. So far I've tried to find new recipes that the family will eat (still working on that one) and together the Nice Guy and I have decided that we don't eat enough fruit and plan to remedy it. I'm working on finding recipes for meals and snacks that incorporate various fruits and veggies that we might not think about eating otherwise. So far we've had apples and grapes (the latter thanks to my daughter, who was rather insistent in the store that she had to them), crepes, pork chops (which is something I'd never made before, but was how we incorporated the apples), and tomorrow we'll have a good stew (mainly because it's cool out and I thought it would be nice). I made a concession on my soda goal--the hubby can't live without his soda so we agreed we'd reduce our overall consumption and try to drink diet soda when an agreeable variety is available. In other words, if Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper is available, we'll drink that--it's our favorite.
They're small things, but they feel big. I'm trying to change things without changing anything too big, but at least I'm cooking at home more again and that's a big issue for us. We really got used to eating out when we were pressed for time, so the part I've got to work on is remembering to plan ahead--buying groceries, planning menus, and thinking about the nutritional content of what we're eating.
Another small victory we achieved today is we found a potty seat that Sweet'ums will actually use. Her old one, a Walmart purchase with a cushiony blue seat-ring, was a great purchase and a wonderful potty to acclimate her to the idea, but she's had it since she was six months old and associates it more with play than potty. Then at Home Depot we found this, a child's potty seat built into an adult potty seat (click the link and scroll down for pictures). This way she can use the "big girl potty" like Mommy without feeling like she's going to fall in, and since it's a built-in mini seat, she can't run off and play with it like she can her other potty. She sat on it for the longest time tonight, and aside from a few moments of uncertainty at first she seems to be perfectly comfortable and secure sitting on it. Hooray for finding items that help in the huge task of potty training!
So today I celebrate our small victories and hope that tomorrow holds just as many.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yea! You're doing great! I used to be a big soda drinker and cut it out about 10 years ago. A few years ago, I drank some and a didn't even like it anymore! It's funny what happens to our tastebuds! ;0)
Good luck this week!
Post a Comment