Saturday, January 22, 2011
I am the luckiest
So, we've reached a milestone. Others have come and gone but we've remained. In the face of so much hardship--and while marriage has always been hard I'd argue that there's more standing in the way of marriage today than ever before--we've stood strong. We've dealt with debt and money issues, health issues, living in a bad neighborhood, coping with a difficult work schedule, and so much family frustration, and though we've still got a long way to go on many of those issues we've come so far already.
We've got this truly wonderful relationship. When I'm weak you take me by the arm and help me. When you're sad I do everything I can to make you laugh. What our relationship lacks in passion we more than make up for with loyalty and companionship and true commitment to each other. You're my best friend and to me, that's the most important thing any relationship can have. Money comes and goes, we've learned that the hard way, but some of our best times together have been at our most broke. I'll never forget our date nights here at home with cheap pizza and some awful movie on tv. I'll never forget our deep, heart-to-heart chats over milkshakes in the car under the glow of the Steak'N'Shake lights. I'll never forget our ridiculous talks in the middle of the night when we can't sleep and all we can do is laugh. Money doesn't buy memories and heaven only knows how many of those we've made already.
The best part about us is that I know in my heart God meant for us to be together. Too many little things happened in such a way as to pave the path for us. There were so many little coincidences that worked to bring us together. And what a blessing you've been for me! I've learned so much from you. You've taught me so much about life and family and love, and most importantly, about what it means to be loved. You've given me so much that I don't know if anyone else could have. You've helped to heal wounds in my heart that were so deep I didn't think I'd ever feel whole again. You made me feel whole and then overflowing! And just when I didn't think I could feel more love, you gave me a daughter and my heart grew yet again. It kind of reminds me of the story of the Grinch. :) And I truly believe that God gave you to me and that through you He worked these things in my life.
Thank you for these five beautiful years. Thank you for the little family you've built with me, the insanity with which you help nurture it, the laughter and joy you bring into it. My life would be a dark and lonely place without you. My life is worth living because I've got you.
Here's to many, many more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment